Go to AfricaBib home

Go to AfricaBib home AfricaBib Go to database home

bibliographic database
Line
Previous page New search

The free AfricaBib App for Android is available here

Periodical article Periodical article Leiden University catalogue Leiden University catalogue WorldCat catalogue WorldCat
Title:South Africa's second democratic election
Author:Milazi, DominicISNI
Year:1998
Periodical:Lesotho Social Sciences Review (ISSN 1028-0790)
Volume:4
Issue:2
Period:December
Pages:83-97
Language:English
Notes:biblio. refs.
Geographic terms:South Africa
Southern Africa
Subjects:elections
1999
politics
political parties
voting
public opinion
democratization
Abstract:This article focuses on the June 1999 elections in South Africa. After a few statements on the electoral process, the political campaigns and the opinion polls, it analyses the major political parties in relation to their performance, provincially and nationally. These parties are the New National Party (NNP), the Democratic Party (DP), the African Christian Democratic Party (ACDP), 'Indian Constituencies in Natal', and the parties left of the ANC: the Pan African Congress (PAC), the Azanian People's Organization (Azapo) and the Socialist Party of Azania (Sopa). While the governing ANC party stood to win over 65 percent of the votes, 40 other parties scrambled for the other 35 percent. The ANC came very close to a two-thirds majority because of the poor opposition. A more central trend of the elections is a shift of the country's politics to the liberal centre. This shows that the electorate has accepted the pragmatic centrist programme of the ANC. Bibliogr., sum.
Views