Go to AfricaBib home

Go to AfricaBib home Education in Africa Go to database home

bibliographic database
Line
Previous page New search

The free AfricaBib App for Android is available here

Periodical article Periodical article Leiden University catalogue Leiden University catalogue WorldCat catalogue WorldCat
Title:The Lutheran church's contribution to education in Kilimanjaro 1895-1955
Author:Lema, Anza Amen
Year:1968
Periodical:Tanzania Notes and Records
Volume:68
Pages:87-94
Language:English
Geographic term:Tanzania
Subjects:Lutheran Church
education
Abstract:The first Lutheran missionaries from Leipzig came to the Kilimanjaro region in 1893 to take over the work of the Church Missionary Society group whose station at Moshi had been closed down by the German colonial authorities. They opened their first mission station at Machame in October, 1893. About a year later the first school was opened there. By 1955 there were 165 Lutheran mission schools with 11.812 pupils and 255 African teachers in the Kilimanjaro region. During the Nazi period of rule in Germany, missionary societies found it hard to support their mission work in Tanganyika with funds. In 1934, when no money was forthcoming from Germany for educational work, a few mission primary schools were closed. But the Nkwoaranga and Machame congregations kept all their schools running, though under great difficulties. The African teachers in these schools accepted forty per cent reduction of their salaries. To supplement their income, many planted coffee bushes. Many of the present leaders of the government as well as senior officials of the civil service gained their elementary education in the Lutheran mission schools. References.
Views