Go to AfricaBib home

Go to AfricaBib home AfricaBib Go to database home

bibliographic database

Line
Previous page New search

The free AfricaBib App for Android is available here

Periodical article Periodical article Leiden University catalogue Leiden University catalogue WorldCat catalogue WorldCat
Title:Mombasa Cathedral and the CMS compound: the years of the East Africa Protectorate
Author:Frankl, P.J.L.ISNI
Year:2008
Periodical:History in Africa (ISSN 1558-2744)
Volume:35
Pages:209-229
Language:English
Geographic term:Kenya
Subjects:churches
missionary history
architectural history
1850-1899
1900-1909
1910-1919
Link:http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/history_in_africa/v035/35.frankl.pdf
Abstract:Modern Christianity in Mombasa (Kenya) dates from 1844. The diocese of Eastern Equatorial Africa, which included Mombasa, was constituted in 1884 under the aegis of the Protestant-inclined Church Missionary Society (CMS). During the zenith of British imperial power it was 'de rigueur' to have a Church of England cathedral in the capital of almost every major British overseas possession. So it was that in 1905 Mombasa's cathedral first opened its doors. The author examines (and cites from) the relevant archives in order to understand how the cathedral project began, how it was executed, and, incidentally, to pay tribute to the architect, John Sinclair. App., notes, ref. [ASC Leiden abstract]
Views