Go to AfricaBib home

Go to AfricaBib home AfricaBib Go to database home

bibliographic database
Line
Previous page New search

The free AfricaBib App for Android is available here

Periodical article Periodical article Leiden University catalogue Leiden University catalogue
Title:Place of people: the Khwebe Hills in the history of Ngamiland
Author:Dziewiecka, Malgorzata
Year:2008
Periodical:Botswana Notes and Records (ISSN 0525-5090)
Volume:40
Pages:11-20
Language:English
Geographic term:Botswana
Subjects:history
1850-1899
San
Tawana
Abstract:At the end of the 18th century, Ngamiland (in present-day Botswana) was a country without borders, owners, capitals and main villages. Its few inhabitants called themselves simply 'people', that is to say 'Kwe'. Ngamiland was rich in water, grasslands, woods and game, and so too were the Kwe. In 1797, the Tawana, a breakaway part of the Bangwato tribe, settled in the area of the Kwe, who did not defend themselves against the intruders but resorted to a servile position. In 1849 David Livingstone arrived in Ngamiland, which opened the route for permanent and direct trade of the Tawana with the Europeans. In 1868, the Boer hunter Hendrick Matthys Van Zyl settled at Khwebe. In 1877, the London Missionary Society (LMS) missonary J.D. Hepburn arrived. In 1896, the expedition of the British West Charterland Company, headed by Captain Lugard and his brother E.J. Lugard, headed for Khwebe to establish its headquarters there. Prospecting for gold and diamonds was the official reason for its presence, but at the same time the presence of Britsh prospectors served political reasons as well. In late 1899, the recent busy part of the history of the Khwebe Hills came to a sudden end due to the outbreak of the South African War. Notes, ref., sum. [ASC Leiden abstract]
Views

Cover